I'M SHAVING MY HEAD

I'm shaving my head for Comic Relief, click below to donate
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Sunday 15 November 2015

Chapter 21: Paper Towns Review (NO SPOILERS)

Hello, Hello, Hello you lovely lot,

In this weeks video I revealed to you all that I am doing lots of things at the moment. Please check out that video here:
I think what I'll do here is leave an attempt of a review of Paper Towns as my friend Georgia has already reviewed Spectre, which sums up most things I wanted to say, on her blog, you can find that here!

Paper Towns Review - 

Having not read the book I was unsure on what to expect from this film however I can honestly say I absolutely loved it. I wouldn't say that this kind of film is what I usually like but the inclusion of comedy and popular culture references really resonated with me probably making this film one of my favourites from this year.

Paper towns is directed by Jake Schreier, who despite having a small collection directing credits really brings this film to life perfectly contrasting the emotional scenes with the silly tomfoolery of comedic scenes. The film is based on the Best-selling book by John Green and I am told it really improves the story. The cast is led by Nat Wolff (Quentin) and Cara Delevingne (Margo), both of whom portray their characters well however I believe the stand-out star the film is Austin Abrams, his comedic timing and portrayal of Ben really connected with me.


'Paper Towns is the story of a boy named Quentin Jacobsen and the adventure he is drawn into by his childhood friend and secret love Margo Roth Spiegelman. As children, Quentin and Margo discovered a dead man's body; an event that binds them in ways they do not realize.'[Ref.] This is the best way of summarizing the plot without spoiling the film. The film also focuses heavily on the friendship between Quentin and his two best friends, Ben and Radar who together create unexpected comedy in a well-measured and well-timed manner which adds something pretty special to the film.

As I've mentioned one of the reasons I loved this film was because of the comedy which I don't want to ruin so I'll sum it up with the words, Pokémon, Black Santa, Wee and T-shirts which will become clear once you have watched the film (or read the book). In addition to the comedy, especially that of Austin Abrams, I also loved the more touching moments and may have possibly, slightly let out a few tears.

All in all, This filmed made me laugh, cry, smile and even sing. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to push beyond their preferred genre as this really is a surprising treat. It really combines the conventions comedy, romance, 'teen', 'high school', adventure, espionage and 'summer' films to create a real diamond in moving picture. 

So Until Next time,
Stay Happy,
Watch Paper Towns,
And Goodbye.

Mitch x

No comments:

Post a Comment