I'M SHAVING MY HEAD

I'm shaving my head for Comic Relief, click below to donate
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 23 October 2015

Chapter 14: Am I Intelligent?

Hi guys, 

Today I thought I would discover whether the things I think I know about completely useless topics are true or not. If they are, then I have some useless general knowledge, if they aren't then...well, other people have false information.

An Octopus has 3 hearts.
'Octopuses have three hearts. Two branchial hearts pump blood through each of the two gills, while the third is a systemic heart that pumps blood through the body. Octopus blood contains the copper-rich protein hemocyanin for transporting oxygen.' - Well, good start.

The Incredibles was the first animated film where the hair was animated.
Well, I couldn't actually find evidence for or against this 'fact' so, I'm just going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and say that it's true.

You lose brain cells when you sneeze.
'When sneezing, the pressure in you body increases momentarily. This causes the blood flow to the heart to decrease. The heart then adjusts, changing the regular heart beat to make up for the lack of blood flow. As reported by Dr. Richard Koller, a sneeze does not kill brain cells.' I was pretty convinced on this one and I'm mind blown that it's not true.

Coconuts kill more people than guns.
'Falling coconuts kill 150 people worldwide each year, 15 times the number of fatalities attributable to sharks' Ok, so I wasn't quite right here, but I knew that coconuts were good killers.

Jupiter has rings.
'Jupiter does have faint, narrow rings. Unlike Saturn, which has bright ice rings, Jupiter has dark rings which are made up of dust and tiny pieces of rock. Jupiter's rings were discovered by NASA's Voyager 1 mission in 1980.' I knew I wasn't crazy about this one.

South Sudan is the newest country.
'South Sudan declared independence from Sudan on July 9, 2011, after a bloody civil war with the ethnically Arab north that had lasted decades.' Although it doesn't state it in that quote, the four year old country really is the youngest country, as opposed to Ethiopia, the oldest.

So, it turns out that most of the pointless 'facts' that I 'know' are true so if I tell you something that sounds ridiculous, it's probably true.

Until tomorrow,
Stay happy,
Tell someone a pointless fact,
and goodbye,

Mitch xx

No comments:

Post a Comment